The Adams Companies History
1903 - Today
Adapting to new technologies and changing economic conditions, The Adams Companies have evolved from the initial moving and storage company founded in 1903 into a diversified business including related products and services such as relocation services and commercial property leasing.
From the earliest days of the organization's existence, The Adams Companies have participated in the lives of our customers - and neighbors. In 1929 we delivered the power poles that brought electricity to Northeast Georgia. In l953 we helped families safely move from the land and rising waters that would become Lake Lanier. Adams continues to be a vital part of the business community in metro Atlanta and northeast Georgia.
The vision to broaden and enhance services in a collaborative way has facilitated a flourishing business. We are the proud recipient of the 2003 Georgia Family Business of the Year - Cox Century Award for more than 100 years of excellence and the 2008 SBA Georgia Family-Owned Business of the Year.
- 1903 - Adams Transfer Company was founded in Athens, GA by John Loubannon Adams.
- 1922 - The founder's son, Hyram Allen Adams began the second generation of management of the Athens Company.
- 1949 - Robert Edward (Bob) Adams, third generation of ownership and his wife JoAnn opened Adams Transfer Company in Gainesville, GA.
- 1952 - Adams Transfer Company selected the affiliation with Allied Van Lines.
- 1964 - Adams Transfer opened a branch in Atlanta, GA.
- 1969 - The company was incorporated as Adams Transfer & Storage.
- 1973 - Robert (Al) Adams assumed the fourth generation management of ATS.
- 1983 - James Justin (Jimmy) Adams manages operations of Athens & Gainesville locations.
- 1984 - Jimmy Adams established Georgia Data Storage, the records storage and management company.
- 1988 - The company launched a new division, Adams Property Management focused on warehouse and industrial property acquisition. Currently some 2.25 million square feet of commercial and industrial space is owned and operated by the company.
- 1992 - Adams purchased the historic Gainesville, Mill, a 400,000 square foot turn of the century cotton mill referred to as "the Mill." After restoration, the five story facility houses corporate offices, truck fleet, warehouses, records storage and leases space to eight tenants.
- 2002 - Georgia Data Storage changes corporate name to Adams Data Management and relocates corporate offices to Atlanta. The company purchased a state-of-art Firelock vault for data tape, media storage, - The only one of its kind in the state of Georgia.
- 2003 - Adams was named Georgia Family Business of the Year, celebrating 100 years of excellence.
- 2004 - The Adams Companies, Inc. was incorporated as collaboration for all the divisions under the umbrella.
- 2008 – Adams Transfer and Storage awarded the Georgia Family-Owned Business of the Year by the Small Business Administration.
- 2012 – Adams Data Management is acquired by Access Information Management.
- 2013 – Jimmy Adams acquires and assumes ownership of The Adams Companies and its’ divisions.
- 2013 - Adams Transfer and Storage attains interstate authority throughout the Southeastern U.S. operating independently of Allied Van Lines.