The Adams Companies History
1903 - Today
Adapting to new technologies and changing economic conditions, The Adams Companies have evolved from the initial moving and storage company founded in 1903 into a diversified business including real estate development, industrial property management and leasing, commercial warehousing and records management.
From the earliest days of the organization's existence, The Adams Companies have participated in the lives of our customers - and neighbors. In 1929, Adams delivered power poles that brought electricity to Northeast Georgia. In l953, Adams helped families safely move from the land and rising waters that would become Lake Lanier. Adams continues to be a vital part of the business community in metro Atlanta and northeast Georgia.
The vision to broaden and enhance services in a collaborative way has facilitated a flourishing business. We are the proud recipient of the 2003 Georgia Family Business of the Year - Cox Century Award for more than 100 years of excellence and the 2008 SBA Georgia Family-Owned Business of the Year.
- 1903 - Adams Transfer Company was founded in Athens, GA by John Loubannon Adams.
- 1922 - The founder's son, Hyram Allen Adams began the second generation of management of the Athens Company.
- 1949 - Bob Adams, third generation of ownership, and his wife JoAnn open Adams Transfer Company in Gainesville, GA.
- 1964 - Adams Transfer opens a branch in Atlanta, GA.
- 1969 - The company is incorporated as Adams Transfer & Storage.
- 1973 - Al Adams assumes the fourth generation management of ATS.
- 1983 - James Adams manages operations of Athens & Gainesville locations.
- 1984 - James Adams establishes Georgia Data Storage, the records storage and management company.
- 1988 - The company launches a new division, Adams Property Management, focused on warehouse and industrial property acquisition.
- 1992 - Adams purchases the historic Gainesville, Mill, a 400,000 square foot turn of the century cotton mill referred to as "the Mill." After restoration, the five story facility houses corporate offices, truck fleet, warehouses, records storage and leases space to eight tenants.
- 2002 - Georgia Data Storage changes corporate name to Adams Data Management and relocates corporate offices to Atlanta. The company provides a state-of-art Firelock vault for data tape, media storage - the first one in Georgia.
- 2003 - Adams is named Georgia Family Business of the Year, celebrating 100 years of excellence.
- 2004 - The Adams Companies, Inc. is incorporated as collaboration for all the divisions under the umbrella.
- 2008 – Adams Transfer and Storage awarded the Georgia Family-Owned Business of the Year by the Small Business Administration.
- 2012 – Adams Data Management is acquired by Access Information Management.
- 2013 – James Adams acquires and assumes ownership of The Adams Companies and its’ divisions.
- 2017 - Adams commercial warehousing division is branded Corporate Storage, LLC, and expands storage service offerings for regional manufacturing businesses.
- 2018 - The Adams Companies enters into agreement to construct a 143,590 sf spec building on 14.8 acres in Gateway Industrial Park in Hartwell, Georgia - Gateway Industrial Park was the first project by the Joint Development Authority of Franklin, Hart, and Stephens Counties.
- 2019 - Construction completed for 2052 Knox Bridge Crossing Road.
- 2019 - The Adams Companies/Corporate Storage acquires 1750 Atlanta Hwy in Gainesville, Georgia and begins renovations to the facility. Building goes under contract 1st Qtr 2021.
- 2020 - Both Corporate Storage and The Adams Companies relocate to the 256,000 sq. ft. facility on Atlanta Hwy.